Sunday, February 1, 2009

Apricots, Oil Painting Workshop, Art Tips

" Idaho Apricots "
Oil
6"x8"
Private Collection


I painted this oil outside in bright sunshine (no, not today.. during the summer). I wanted to show it today because I have been talking to the students in my oil painting workshop about highlights. Highlights are often the lightest part of an object and attract our eye. Highlights need to be accurate in order to describe the texture of that object. For example here on the apricots the highlights are very, very subtle..no hard edges, because that is what I observed. Apricots and peaches are fuzzy. If you observe your object carefully and paint what you see not what you know it will be correct.
I was reviewing my Artist Statement today. One of the shows I exhibited in last summer required one. I had been putting off updating mine for years! I'd recently purchased Alyson Stanfield's excellent art marketing book. I'd Rather Be in the Studio The section on writing artist statements took the fear right out of the entire process. She goes beyond telling you how to do something with specific examples of what to do. If any of you are interested in how I took her tips and wrote my own statement, let me know and I will do a post on that topic.


4 comments:

Karen Hargett said...

The apricots look good enough to eat.

I'd be interested your tips on writing an artists statement.

I really need to order that book!

Jennifer Bellinger said...

Thanks, Karen. Yes, it really is the best marketing book for artists, especially current in how to do blogs, web sites..all the tech stuff necessary for an online presence. I always remember things I read when they are "stories". She references other artists experiences. Facts tell, stories sell! I will do my next post on how I used Alyson's book to write my own artist statement.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer: Thanks! I'm thrilled you found good stuff in IRBITS.

Jennifer Bellinger said...

Thanks, Alyson,
Not just good stuff, the best stuff!