Sunday, May 10, 2009

Daffodils for Mother's Day, Art Tip #14

" Daffodils for Mother's Day "
Oil
6"x6"
Sold
Our mornings are still in the twenties so my daffodils are just starting to bloom. Flowers are quite a challenge for me especially painting directly. I wanted to quit and let these daffodils dry then go back with overpainting. But, one of the challenges of a painting a day is to complete a painting in one sitting. I'm glad I stuck it out as I like the finished result.
Art Tip #14 When painting flowers alla prima/direct/wet n wet..I find it works best to lay in the flower colors first. It's easier to add darker color around the clear flower colors. It is nearly impossible to lay clean, bright colors over darker wet paint...you'll end up with mud.

6 comments:

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

20's Whoa!
We are home in sunny but chilly New England, but I love it. Too late to see the daffs though. They're already gone.
This is a beautiful painting! Belated Mother's Day wishes to you!

Jennifer Bellinger said...

Thanks, Mary. What happens here is that spring is delayed, or it's nil then summer hits..everything spring flower-wize pops fast then is over.

Frank Gardner said...

Good tip.

Jennifer Bellinger said...

Thanks, Frank..I'm am not a painter of flowers and so they are always a challenge...one of the subjects that I usually keep fussing until I've ruined the effect..less is more?

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

I think you're SO good at flowers, Jennifer. It surprises me that you don't think so. One of your great strengths.
I stopped at this one again, and found that I'd already commented. I still LOVE IT>

Jennifer Bellinger said...

Thanks so much Mary. Maybe I am being too hard on myself. I guess I just admire artists who specialize in floral still lifes. And I do love using the bright colors of flowers.