Friday, January 28, 2011

Just Peachy, Peaches, still life with fruit

"That's Just Peachy"
Oil
30x30
Copyright 2011 J. Bellinger

I forgot to post this painting earlier in January. The blue tablecloth I have had for 25 years and has finally made it into my still life stash of fabrics. I went shopping for new fabrics to inspire more in the white plate/fruit series. Stay tuned.
Art tip # 25:
People are so intrigued by the fuzziness of the peaches but we painters know it is just a matter of mixing that really grayed color..same for plums. Mix what you see and it will read correctly..isolate the color with a small 2x3 cardboard with a hole punched in the middle. Hold it over the area you want to identify the color..give that color you see a name. More than likely you will be hesitant to name it because it is so neutral. Ask yourself "is it yellowish or blueish?" I find that is more helpful than "warmer or cooler" (I got that tip from watching Daniel Greene's dvd on color mixing..excellent dvd by the way.

4 comments:

Virginia Floyd said...

Lovely, Jennifer. I'm in awe of the tablecloth. Your depections of fabric are alway wonderful.

I bought a red-striped tea-towel this week to try to move out of my comfort zone. It may take a long time to accomplish that move!

Jennifer Bellinger said...

Thanks, Virginia. Painting fabric, or drapery really, is a matter of studying where the lights, midtones and shadows are with blending where each zone touches. I also do a lot of scumbling/dragging on of lights. Happy painting!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

right! Gray!!
You do the fabrics so well and I'm sitting on a stash of stripes and.....avoiding them :(
I need to be braver...what do I have to lose...sheesh

Jennifer Bellinger said...

Mary, You will do just fine painting stripes, they are just shapes of color like everything else.