Saturday, November 1, 2008

Bartlett Pears, Blue knife

" Pears and Blue Knife"
Oil
6" x 6"
I usually like to have all the pears standing up but this one wouldn't cooperate. Then I noticed it had a very good blossom end so I set the light to just catch the tips of those ends or whatever they are called.
I played with various plates, vases, etc. and kept coming back to this white linen napkin, very wrinkled. I've used it many times before and it's familiar to me..maybe that's what I liked. For the serrated edge on the knife, I first scratched the serrated shapes, then smudged a bit, then used the end of an orange stick (for manicures) to touch on the white highlights.
SOLD

8 comments:

donnaprizzi said...

I have been really enjoying your blog. You have a wonderful sense of color and design!

Marsha Robinett said...

Very nice composition on this Jennifer. And the blue knife handle sets off the colors. You just keep getting better and better. Beautifully thought out. Well done.

Jennifer Bellinger said...

Thanks, D. Design/composition is what I am most interested in, looking for contrasts is important. Which leads to strong values and lastly, color. thanks for visiting my blog!

Jennifer Bellinger said...

Thanks, Marsha. I think if you can stop the eye with something big, then keep it wondering about with other little surprises here and there it is a successful painting, no matter the size. These little 6x6 paintings can have a very big feeling to them.

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

Fun painting, I like the diagonal of the knife, and your creative use of applying paint. I guess any tool that works is the right one to use!

Jennifer Bellinger said...

Thanks, Elizabeth. Many times I end up applying paint, then removing some or all by wiping, or scraping or smudging. Like you said, any tool that works to get the effect you want! When a painting if frustrating it usually means I have lost my focus and am too lazy to "think" what needs to be done. Most important is to get the main idea down from the set-up and then to forget the set-up and just look at the painting to see what it needs to make it work. Asking myself questions about: center of interest, soft/hard edges, warm/cool, etc.

kim shields said...

Don't you just love it when you find a small part of an object (like a pear blossom) that you want to paint and it comes out just like you saw it in your head. Love this one! and all of your paintings.

Jennifer Bellinger said...

Thanks, Kim,you are so right. Paint what you love, write what you know about..it always shows in the end result. Sometimes I get off track with a subject (usually a commission) that I'm not really excited about and those paintings are usually a struggle.