Thursday, February 5, 2009

Animal Shelter of the Wood River Valley, Chicago Cows, Labrador Retreiver, New Mexico Painted Ponies

Wood River Pet Lab
Oil on Fiberglass
40"x28"
Private Collection
Detail
PeeWee the Guinnea Pig


Detail

Our Pug Jack

Corey's Sweetie Rat
All image copyright J.Bellinger

I need to get back in the studio and paint! Prepping images for my new web site is taking tons of time. My oil painting workshop is going well, day 3 of a 4 day class completed. My students are coming over to the studio this Saturday.
I decided to post images of "Wood River Pet Lab". Our local animal shelter has used these fiberglass lab forms for big fund raisers. The event was patterned after the Chicago Cows, New Mexico's Painted Ponies, etc. Artists are commissioned to paint them and then they are auctioned. I have completed three of them to date. It is something to see 40 or more together on one large room. Artists are so creative. My approach is pretty traditional. One of my favorites was covered entirely with coffee beans. The artist even covered a base with the burlap coffee sack and the dog is holding a coffee cup/saucer in his mouth! It now resides in a local coffee shop called Zaney's.
Lots of money raised for our local no-kill shelter.

4 comments:

Nothing to See said...

I think Toronto has painted moose.

This is terrific. I really like it a lot. Can you put up photos of the other ones you did too?

What a great idea to raise money for the local no-kill shelter.

Jennifer Bellinger said...

Thanks Ana. I don't have digital of the other two but can have slides converted. Stay tuned! That's my little Jack pug on the pink blanket.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

I've just received bad news about the MSPCA shelters in Massachusetts, 3 of which will have to close (locally) on March 31st. No Money :(

Jennifer Bellinger said...

And this is just the beginning....